home tutorials features parties custom orders

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Retro Romper Pattern

Last week I tested the Retro Romper Pattern by Blank Slate Patterns .  It has officially been released for sale here as of today!

Disclosure:  I am an affiliate of Blank Slate Patterns, but all opinions regarding this pattern are 100% my own.


I love rompers, and apparently, so do a lot of other people!  It's just a shame that adults don't look quite as adorable in them as children do.  Well, I can still get my fix of rompers by making lots for Ella to wear this summer.  This has already become a favorite of hers.

The Retro Romper Pattern is appropriately named.  This design so reminds me of the '80's, and I could swear I had a terry cloth version of this exact design when I was a child.  I've even looked through a few old photo albums searching for a photo of me wearing it.  Hopefully I'm not thinking of someone else, but I have not come across the photo--yet!  When I do, I'll be sure to post an update.

This pattern is such a simple design and the perfect piece of clothing for summer!  It's cool and comfy for running around outside in the hot sun and ideal for playing/bending/squatting both indoors and out.  The Retro Romper Pattern offers both a shorts and skort version, and I think the latter would make a great swimsuit cover-up for little girls!

There are absolutely no seams to hem on this romper since everything is trimmed with bias binding!


I made all my binding out of quilting cotton in order to coordinate with the floral main fabric of the romper. It took a little extra time to fold and iron it all out without the use of a bias tape maker or using pre-made bias tape, but it's always well worth it.  I use bias binding often to hem skirts, dresses, or even tops because it is an easy way to add color or a visual interest to the garment.

For my shorts version of the Retro Romper, I used quilting cotton; however, the pattern is suitable for wovens or knits and includes sizes 18 months to 8.  I made Ella a size 5T and think it fits her perfectly.



The waist is gathered using elastic, and the pattern shows you an easy way to create the casing when you sew the shorts to the bodice.  Although not included in the pattern, you could easily shirr the waist with a couple of rows of elastic thread to create the same fit in lieu of an elastic casing.


I considered adding some pockets to the bum, but after making one and pinning it on to the shorts part, decided to just keep it plain and simple.  One great thing about the Blank Slate Patterns is that the designs are such that you can add all kinds of personal touches to an outfit with the use of trims, buttons, a ruffle placket down the front, pockets in the front or back, a sash around the waist, a ruffle across the front, and I could go on and on.  The bodice could even be appliqued or embroidered to personalize the look. The options are endless!


This pattern was a joy to test!  It was simple, it was a quick sew (roughly 2 hours), it fits perfectly, and it's adorable on!  I can't tell you how many compliments Ella received when she wore this out to my son's ballgame.  Even a few moms said they wish they had one in their size, so obviously, I'm not the only one with a romper crush!

Blank Slate Patterns also released two additional patterns today as part of their Summer Vibe collection--the Big Island Board Shorts and the Baja Hoodie.


And if you love rompers like I do, then be sure to check out some of the others I've made--



I'll also be participating in Romper Week at Sewing Mama RaeAnna starting June 19th!  Be sure to follow along the entire week for some amazing romper inspiration.  You can also check out our romper inspired pinterest board.

Romper Week

Have a great day!

Follow on Bloglovin

7 comments:

  1. So funny: we're all making rompers now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute Veronica - I love your bias trim. I want to do some handmade trim on this pattern for my niece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!!! I can't wait until Eva Mae will start posing for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your fabric choice, Veronica. I have a photo of me as a child wearing a romper like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so loveley! Using such pretty fabrics makes a romper look so much more fashionable. I like to dress my 8 moths year old daughter comfortable, but don't want her to look like she's in her pajamas all the time. This is the best of two worlds!

    Susanne

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading what you think about my post!