home tutorials features parties custom orders

Monday, March 17, 2014

A sewVery Simple Reversible Placemat Tutorial

Have you heard?  March is National Craft Month, which gives me a great excuse to head to Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores for a little shopping!  I was inspired by their Spring crafting inspiration website as well as the warmer weather to create some bright, cheerful, floral sewVery Simple Reversible Placemats, and I was able to use this $5 off a $25 or more purchase coupon to buy all the supplies.


The following review is part of the Jo-Ann Fabric And Craft Stores National Craft Month campaign.  I received compensation for this review; however, this is my personal, honest opinion based on my experience.

These placemats are super quick and easy to sew and are perfect for brightening up your dinner table or to give as a gift to a friend or new neighbor.  Plus, they are fairly inexpensive to make when you use a coupon from Jo-Ann!




What makes these placemats so quick and easy to sew?  All you need is 1 yard of double face printed quilt fabric!  Jo-Ann has a large selection of these fabrics in a variety of colors and prints. Since the fabric is printed on both sides, I'll show you how to create self-binding edges with mitered corners so that no additional bias tape is needed!



Just follow my sewVery Simple Reversible Placemat Tutorial, and you'll have a set of 4 placements in less than an hour!

Supplies

1 yard Double Face Printed Quilt Fabric  (I used the Modern Bouquet floral print)
Thread
Scissors
Pins
Cutting Mat
Rotary Cutter
Ruler or Straightedge
Marking Pen

Assembly

Begin by cutting your fabric into 4 rectangles that are 16" W  x 21.5" L.

You will end up with a 4" wide x the width of the fabric strip left over that you could use to make a couple of cute little zipper pouches!

Next, prepare the corners on all four placemats by following the instructions below.



Now to create the binding!


Stitch the binding by sewing 1/8" from the open edge.

That's it!  You've just finished making a beautiful, floral set of placemats in no time at all!  Now I feel like I've brought a little touch of springtime inside to enjoy.


So, what do you think?  Will you be making some soon?

Thanks for stopping by, and have fun sewing!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! These are so pretty!! I'm still working on my JoAnn project. I have a feeling I'll be bumping right up next to the deadline!
    I've linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-simple-reversible-placemat/2014/03/18/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just looking at all these pre-quilted pieces at JoAnn's. I am now ready to go back and buy some. Thanks for the great tutorial on those corners! I was wondering how to do that!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading what you think about my post!