home tutorials features parties custom orders

Monday, October 10, 2016

Halloween Skirt & Tote Bags

For a few days, we had a taste of Fall weather with cool, crisp air and gentle breezes. It was just a tease though. After three days, it felt like summer again with temps in the high 80s! 

That didn't stop me and Ella from heading outdoors to enjoy a local park and dream of upcoming Fall festivals and pumpkins. In fact, I made her a few things to wear and carry with the Blend Fabric collection, Spooky Town by Cori Dantini, to put us in the Halloween spirit!

You'll be amazed at all the adorable things I was able to make with this half-yard bundle of fabric. 


Disclosure: I was provided the fabrics used in this post in exchange for sharing a project I made with them. All opinions are my own.

The first project I sewed was this sewVery Simple One Seam Skirt. You can make your own, too, by following my tutorial. This skirt tutorial is by far my go-to tutorial for sewing girl's skirts. It's fast, simple, and takes a half yard or less for most sizes.

For Ella's skirt, I used the Hallows' Eve Grey half yard piece from the bundle. It has stars and moons all over. To give it an extra special touch, I asked Ella to write her name on the bottom edge of the skirt with a piece of chalk. I then stitched over her writing.

This was super-duper simple, and she loves that the skirt has her name on it in her own handwriting! Now I need to try this on some other fun projects, too.


Next, I used the Halloween Show fabric panel along with Punkin Patch, Halloween Bunting, and Seeds prints to create four, fun Halloween totes!


These bags are the perfect size for a child, and they are ideal for carrying books or for use as a trick-or-treat bag on Halloween night.


Ella has already claimed the Trick-or-Treat design for her candy bag. Now to decide on a costume!


While photographing these totes, we had an unexpected but very appropriate photo prop appear. See that black thing in the top left of the picture below?


 It was HUGE! Eek!




The interior is just as cute as the exterior!


Finally, I sewed this reversible Halloween door or wall hanging using two of the Happy Halloweeny large panels. I used a wide grosgrain ribbon for the hanger and interfaced both pieces with Pellon Shape-Flex. The top of the hanging really needs more support, so if you  make your own, I suggest making a casing at the top that you can slide a small dowel rod into or something else.

I still have a panel or two left, so I may sew together a flag to put on our wrought iron flag post in the front yard.

The Spooky Town bundle provided me with lots of inspiration and definitely helped put me in the mood for some holiday sewing.


Have FUN sewing!

1 comment:

  1. How can I reduce the bulk of the bottom seam, which was at its thickest, Canvas Tote Bag

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading what you think about my post!